Sunday, June 19, 2011

Review: How I Roll

Sometimes I like reading reviews for things I don't know too much about. It's a good way of finding out if the thing is good or bad. It's also a good way to see how dumb some people's opinions are. I like to be a pretty non judgemental person, but when other people are ridiculously judgemental, it's hard not to judge them as a douche. 

Friday I went to happy hour with my friend Carina. We went to this sushi place on Congress called On A Roll.  I've never really eaten sushi before, except for like one other time I went with this other lady I used to work with but don't like any more since she'scrazy in her head and not in a good way. Well it was pretty good even though the outside is kind of creepy and easy to pass by.

I like fish and sea food items, but I don't eat it very often, probably because my domestic partner hates anything with more than four legs or less than two legs. Anyhow, I bring up this On A Roll place because before Carina and I went there, I read a lot of reviews on Yelp and asked her if she was really sure if it was good or not. Then I read this particularly funny review from a woman that clearly had a large stick up her ass. She pretty much didn't have anything nice to say about the place and made fun of everyone there for being flirty or dumb. I thought it was fine. The only negative thing I have to say about it was that they had the worst TV programming on ever. Oh, and the waitress tried to get me and Carina to take shots of quail eggs. Um no thanks. We got there and it wasn't very busy, we could sit anywhere we wanted. So we sat at the bar next to some old folk and a young couple with their little daughter with a grown woman's face. The little girl had a doll. I hate dolls, I think they are creepy and evil.

The guys behind the counter were nice, but we did catch them laughing at us a few times. They also laughed at me when I was so surprised by the size of the rolls. They did, however, invite Carina back on Wednesday for karaoke night since she said she would never ever do it so long as she shall live. She doesn't know what she's missing out on. Anyhow the rolls were good. We ate a Tootsie Roll (I forgot what's in it, but it's not Tootsie Rolls), a Vegas roll, a spicy tuna roll, and a diamond back roll which was made out of and shaped like a snake. Whenever our waitress wasn't around for a while,  we assumed it was because she was out side with a jacket on flirting with passer-bys. When we asked her if that's what she was doing, all she said was "huh?" which leads me to believe she's guilty! That place was neat and if I am ever in the area and craving something fishy I will go there again. Oh we also had Saki and Japanese beer, which was good until I put too much Saki in and ruined the thing...We TRIED to go down to 4th Ave to check out this tattoo place, but about halfway there decided it was too hot and too far away. So instead we went into this goth store where it was hotter than balls and therefore decided to call it a night. On our way back, though, we had to go to the bathroom and since popping a squat in the middle of the road is frowned upon, we went back to On A Roll to use their bathroom. The hostess said "UMMMMM we don't have public restrooms..." but then our beautiful waitress came and said "THEY WERE JUST HERE" and walked us back there and said "I can't believe she was giving you such a hard time, she's like the bathroom Nazi" She's nice.

Last night me and the man went to dinner and a double feature. Of course we started the night at the best place in the world... Chipotle where I downed an entire chicken burrito. Every time I take my first bite of a delicious Chipotle burrito it is like taking a little bite of heaven. Oh, how I love you, delicious Chipotle burrito! Then we went to see X-Men: First Class followed by Super 8. My fave was X-Men of course. I love the super hero movies. This one was freakin awesome. It was neat to see them as younger versions of themselves, and it also had a good story line tied to history, which of course being a geek I also liked. Whenever I watch super hero movies I always wish I had a super power. I wish I could read minds and have telekinesis. That would be totally awesome. Super 8 was also really good, the main character is really cute and kind of looks a bit like my nephew Andrew.

The only thing that sucked about the movie was that the sound was awful but that was because of the theater. After I see alien movies it always makes me wonder if there are aliens in the world and how awesome it would be to have telekinesis. Wait...

1 comment:

  1. LOL I read reviews and think the same thing! People are just assholes then I go and hate the place but that's ok at least I gave the place a chance.

    ReplyDelete